Saturday, January 2, 2010

One thing that Singaporeans cannot live without

MM Lee once said the biggest invention in the 21st century was AIRCON. I don't quite agree with him. It is one of those things we cannot live without (in Singapore, that is), but I don't think it is the Biggest invention of the 21st century. To a new homeowner, it is surely one of the biggest headache when it comes to renovation. Of course, those who bought new condominiums don't have to face this. We had to do research the background on buying aircon. The list:

1) brand/ make
2) split or multiple units
3) BTU (I think it refers to British thermal unit) but in layman's terms, it simply means the capacity needed to keep the room cool enough.
4) invertor or non-invertor
5) conceal or exposed (piping and trunking)
6) type of piping etc...

I am not a very technical person, so it is really a drag. Anyway, today we decided on the aircon details and also the positions.

Make: Mitsubishi Starmex

Multi-split invertor for 3 rooms (9000 X 9000 X 12,000 BTU) cos master room is bigger.

SIngle-split Invertor for living room (24,000K). Yes, 24,000k BTU!! Cos living room merges with the dry kitchen so have to share a big capacity aircon unit.

Only a few makes have such large capacity: Mitsubishi, Daikin and something else. So I don't really have much of a choice and I want to keep to the same brand. We had a hard time thinking about invertor or not for the bedrooms. But these reasons supported our decision for invertor (notably $500-800 more than non-invertor):

1) Go green.
2) Economically efficient for our electricity costs
3) Break even the cost if we use it often enough within 5 years.
4) Quieter compressor

Now. The big consideration is the cost. We had about 5 quotes. Those who are looking for aircon (and facing the same headache as me) would have gone to some of these familiar stores.

1) Gain City
2) All Best (I find them expensive)
3) Best Tech (reputation not very good among forumers)
4) Courts
5) My designer's aircon company

I have heard so much about All Best's work and service. However, I find the service at the showroom quite disapppointing. Maybe I met the wrong guy. Talked to two different persons, the quotes differ by $600! Finally, I made my choice with THL, a company that I happened to found out myself. I got a quote for Mitsubishi system 3 (invertor) + system 1 (non-invertor) for $4200. The others are way above this quote! Aircon prices must have escalated alot in the past years. The in charge for site visits was very efficient and knowledgeable. Look for Mr Lim. Amongst all the quotes, I find his quote most competitive. Now, have to wait and see the workmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment